Consumer Information » Advice Agencies Area
Welcome to the Advice Agencies Area of the Consumer Focus website. With lots of useful and sometimes confidential information, this site aims to assist you with all of your energy questions.
You can find information to help consumers in the expanded adviser version of ‘Your energy questions’, up to date factsheets, presentations, access to energy company adviser only phone numbers and much more. If you have a question about energy and can’t find the answer, why not use the ‘Ask the Adviser’ service or ask a question online?
We’ll keep developing the site based on the suggestions and feedback you provide, so please let us know if you think we can provide extra help.
Plug the Debt –
helping you to help consumers in energy debt
Recent energy price rises, along with other rising costs and falling incomes, have left many people struggling to pay their energy bills. With the extra cost of winter heating bills ahead we’re worried many more people may go into debt to their energy supplier. The most recent figures from April to June already show an increase of 20% for overall gas debts 6.5% for electricity from last quarter.
Consumer Focus and Citizens Advice have launched a joint campaign, ‘Plug the Debt’ to help raise consumers’ awareness of their rights and what to do when they fall behind on their energy bills. We have posters and leaflets with our 5 key tips to help consumers in this situation this winter.
- Plug the debt poster A3 (PDF 202KB) with 5 key tips for energy consumers
- Plug the Debt leaflet (PDF 338KB) for consumers
- Energy suppliers’ Warm Home Discount broader group schemes (PDF 190KB)
- Template letter (debt repayment) (Word 28KB) for consumers who are in debt to their energy supplier
- A leaflet on the Energy Best Deal campaign that Citizens Advice runs with Ofgem – available in both English (PDF 245KB) and Welsh (PDF 343KB)
Please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0845 04 05 06 if you would like to order hard copies (or bulk orders) of any leaflets.